The ESP-01 WiFi Module is the module that started the revolutionary low cost and Integrared WiFi SoC modules. It is based on ESP8266EX MCU from Espressif, which is also used in ESP8266 12E / ESP8266 12F modules. But the ESP-01 has only 2 GPIOs. However that does not limit the usefulness of the module as a WiFi Interface for another micro controller or even as a simple standalone device. It runs on 3.3 V, and can be used when the requirement of GPIOs is less, in a device, like simple switching of relay etc.
The ESP-01 WiFi Module has same 80Mhz 32 Bit Low Power, Integrated WiFi SoC as the ESP8266 12E/12F, and hence has integrated TCP / IP protocol stack. And comes with pre-programmed with an AT Command set firmware, means, it can simple hooked up to any MCU, and add the ability of WiFi. Also, you can upload your custom firmware into the module, as per the modules’ capacity and your applications’ requirements. Owing to its small size, and less connections, its useful to make up and running a device very fast. Also, it is very cost effective. For small devices / Projects, it removes the need of having an external MCU, thereby reducing the cost of prototyping.
Difference between ESP-01 and ESP8266 ESP-12E/ ESP8266 ESP-12F:
The ESP-01 WiFi Module and ESP8266 12E/12F are based on the same ESP8266 SoC. The difference is that the ESP-01 has only has 2 GPIOs, while ESP8266 12E/12F has 7 GPIOs.
NOTE: The pins of ESP-01 are 3.3 V Tolerant. Do Not Connect it with 5 V Logic.
- 802.11 b/g/n
- 1MB Flash Memory
- Wi-Fi Direct (P2P), soft-AP
- Integrated TCP/IP protocol stack
- It has Integrated TR switch, balun, LNA, power amplifier and matching network
- Integrated PLLs, regulators, DCXO and power management units
- +19.5 dBm output power in 802.11b mode
- Power down leakage current of < 10 µA
- Integrated low power 32-bit CPU could be used as application processor
- SDIO 1.1 / 2.0, SPI, UART
- STBC, 1×1 MIMO, 2×1 MIMO
- A-MPDU & A-MSDU aggregation & 0.4 ms guard interval
- Wake up and transmit packets in < 2 ms
- Standby power consumption of < 1.0 mW (DTIM3)
- Access Point and Station Modes